Creamy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting #Recipe
Baking has never been my thing. I don’t know why as I do enjoy it, I just never seem to find the time. This year I decided to make my son’s birthday cake this year including HOME Smooth and Creamy Vanilla Frosting. I had no idea what I was doing, but figured with Petunia my new stand mixer from Breville how hard could it be?
Buttercream frosting is great as you can adjust the consistency depending on the need. I learned that by adding less or more milk you either end up with a stiffer or softer icing. Don’t worry if you add a little to much milk and want it a little stiffer just simply add some more powdered sugar and voila you are ready to ice!
This was the simplest recipe I found and I loved that it used whipping cream as I found it to me more fluffy then just plain milk. But in the end use whatever you have on hand. It is recommended to sift your sugar before you add it to your butter but if we are honest I did not. It turned out find but if you sift it then you will be guaranteed a smoother icing.
Smooth and Creamy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened (not melted!)
- 3-4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 – 4 tablespoons whipping cream or heavy cream ( adjust depending on the consistency you would like )
- Cream the butter for a few minutes with a mixer on medium speed.
- Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and mix until all is combined ( Make sure to set your mixer to the lowest speed so you don’t end up with sugar EVERYWHERE )
- Add the vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons of cream and beat for 3 minutes.
As mentioned before if you want a stiffer consistency you can add more sugar. But if you find it to be to stiff then add a little bit more cream to help thin it out. Also I used whipping cream but if all you have is milk that will work also.
What is your favourite icing flavour?