How to Find the Right Pet-Sitter for the Holidays
Every pet owner needs a reliable sitter to turn to when they travel. If you’re lucky enough to have one already, though, you still might be scrambling when the holidays roll around. People get busy, and your go-to person may not be available. That’s why a database of proven, trustworthy pet-sitters is such a welcome boon!
Rover.com connects you with lots of local sitters offering competitive rates for a variety of pet care services, including overnight sits. From here on out, you’ll always have options—no matter the time of year.
The best part? The site takes care of everything, from 24/7 sitter support to secure payments. They even provide insurance, just in case.
- You’ll join the site as an owner, pet-sitter, or both. Then, you can set up your profile. This is where you’ll showcase photos of your pet, and some background information about both of you. You can detail what kinds of services you might need, the type of person your pet gets along with best, and anything else you’d want any potential sitter to know upfront.
- As you start to search for sitters, you’ll want to filter by availability on the dates you have in mind. That way, you won’t fall in love with a sitter only to find they can’t help out over the holidays. Don’t worry: Lots of people enjoy inviting a pet into their holiday festivities, or seek out companionship at a time that might otherwise be lonely. You’ll still have plenty of options! Planning in advance can give you a boost in the search process, too.
- Does your pup thrive in every situation, or are they more of a homebody? Consider what environment is ideal for your pet, and search accordingly. Some sitters offer care in their own home, while others will come to you. If you’d rather have someone looking after your place, look for house-sitters. If you know your pet would enjoy the bustle of getting a change of pace, you can search for their new home-away-from-home. Don’t worry: Plenty of sitters are flexible, and will do whatever works best for your family.
- More experienced sitters sometimes charge more for their services, so keep your target rate in mind as you browse. A high-maintenance pup might need more one-on-one attention, so plan accordingly; you’re the one who knows what your priorities are in the search! Be sure to check reviews from other owners, and work your pet-sitting needs into your overall travel budget.
Finding the Right Fit
- Your pet’s personality will be the guiding factor from here on out. Look for pet-sitters whose experience dovetails with your pet’s needs. Once you start reaching out to potential sitters, you can ask questions and plan an initial meet-and-greet. Then, observe their interaction with your pet to make sure everyone gets along.
A great sitter will not only be able to match your pet’s energy—they’ll also be great at putting your mind at ease. Great communication will ensure a fantastic stay from beginning to end. Leave a detailed list of instructions, so that the sitter can easily refer to it and stay on track. During the stay, you can use the Rover app to see what adventures your pet’s been enjoying.
Now, you can relax and enjoy your holidays thoroughly. Your pet is in great hands, and you get to connect with family and celebrate the season. Cheers!